Lazy Saturday

In lieu of discovering that my acetylene has run out, I've decided to post online instead. I am fairly new to "blogging" and am only really getting into a routine with it. It's Saturday, which is usually a day that fills me with energy and inspiration. Instead, I am worn out from working late last night, and will be working late again tonight. I tried to nap, but I am simply not a napping person. Amber, however, had no problem falling asleep on me.


Apparently, because I was born on the Taurus/Gemini cusp, I am a "busy body" by nature and feel the need to stay busy at all times (I already knew this, but was told so by a book recently).

On the topic of blogs, I would like to introduce some artists that inspire me. Megan Auman is an artist I discovered while researching graduate programs. She teaches at Towson University, in Maryland, along with Jan Baum, who I discovered through The Penland Book of Jewelry.



Megan Auman makes wonderful use of steel in her work, drawing inspiration from well, drawings.

They're gorgeous pieces, with bold lines that are hard, yet beautiful. I instantly fell in love with her work when I came across her website, which consequently led me to her Etsy shop, and her blog (which was partial inspiration for my own blog).

I also just discovered Megan Auman's other blog, jewelry. metals. objects., which is fantastic! It serves as a collection of artists and materials from around the web.

As mentioned previously, Jan Baum is also an inspiration to my work.



She is a master at hollow forms using a hydraulic press, and I was able to immensely improve my technique based on hers, which was printed in The Penland Book of Jewelry. I have always loved using a hydraulic press, but my previous education only provided the absolute basics, and I ran into a lot of problems when trying to solder two halves together without holes. During my Hollow Forms & Mechanisms class, we used Baum's technique and my hollow forms came out beautifully (see below).

CONVERSATION

2 comments:

  1. I discovered Megan the same way! I applied to Towson for graduate school this year, but for many reasons chose to attend another school. She really does great work! I just love her work...and her blog:) Did you end up attending another school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i catherine!
    this is my alma mater! i studied under jan :)

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top