All part of the process...

Hide Me, Keep Me Safe 2006

I previously posted about changing my mind about going to grad school because I wanted to spend time with family and friends who were very ill. Following that post, I pulled my application from one university I had applied to, and decided to wait on the other application to see if I got in. Well, I didn't. Out of 19 applicants, they could only choose 2 or 3, so I was one of the 16 that got turned away. And while I can rationalize a lot of things, it still feels like rejection, and it still makes me question my artistic ability.

On the other hand, this gives me the opportunity to take care of a few things.

1. because I have a degree from a university in Australia (even though I am a U.S. Citizen), I have a lot of hoops to jump through in order to even apply. Hoops that I didn't know about. I now have time to get all of my ducks in a row and ready for next year's applications.

2. I have two series concepts going on in my head that need to start coming out of the wood work:
a. Forgiveness. I plan to make a body of work about forgiveness. There are many facets to forgiveness and many reasons I am choosing this subject, one of which is it is part of my process of forgiving myself and others in my life.

b. She Dreams. I have been having vivid, life like dreams since I was a small child. I remember one distinctly from when I was 4 or 5 that I woke up screaming all of my family's names to. After a particularly vivid dream the other night, I started thinking how some of the elements would make interesting pieces of jewelry or sculpture. I'm thinking large brooches as wall art. Or both. Or something different. We'll see.

I don't know how I'm going to do that, plus production, plus work, but I will find a way.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top