The New & The Used


When I set the "Nothing New" challenge for myself, I knew it would be difficult.
I have succeeded in many ways, and faltered in some. I love the challenge, though...setting challenges for ourselves is important--it allows us to take internal inventory of values, strengths and weaknesses, and goals for the future. If we are lucky, it opens new doors and allows for growth.

I knew going into this that I'd be buying a few new items for an upcoming wedding that I am a Matron of Honor in. That wedding is tomorrow! So, I've bought a slim-fitting short black dress, and these gorgeous kitten-heels for it. 
Other purchases include:
Sunglasses (New--I wear contacts so sunnies are a must)
Chaco sandals (New--I don't screw around with shoes. I have high arches and stick to just a few select brands)
Short sleeved white button-down shirt for Dave (Used)
Pin stripe pants for Dave (Used)
6g Ebony plugs for Dave (New)
Frame for anniversary present (New)

What I am finding is that sheer convenience is what drives the purchase of new items. I probably could have found a lot of these items used if I had taken the time to look, but in a time crunch, I turn to where I know I can get something right then. Is that a bad thing? I'm not sure.

I suppose the purpose of this challenge is to reduce my impact on waste, and to analyze my own purchases more. 

Nothing New is a challenge I set for myself to buy nothing new (with some exceptions) between May 19, 2012 and May 19, 2013.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top