A Meal of Memories...



I have a little story to tell you.
It has nothing to do with metalsmithing or jewelry...
It is a humble story about a humble meal.

The first time I had eggs and rice, as a meal, was when I was 14 years old. At that point in my life, I had befriended a group of homeless 'kids' in downtown Portland, and would spend time with them whenever I could. My friends were a group of guys, all older than me, and all like big brothers. They made sure I was safe, taught me the law of the land and how things work in homeless communities, and kept me away from the much more dangerous areas and people. 

One afternoon, I was wandering around with my friend D, and we popped in to The Grove Hotel apartments to see one of his friends...this amazing little man, with huge curly hair, who was from somewhere in South America. I can't remember his name, but what I do remember is that this man had very little, and yet, when we came in to his apartment, he immediately set about making us each rice and eggs with salsa.

Now, every time I make rice and eggs, I think of that day. I think of the generosity of someone who had so little, and am grateful. I send a little prayer, and thank him each time, and am humbled by the memory.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top