Growth


Yesterday and today have been days of some growth for me. Yesterday, I created this pendant for a friend. This is actually the back view of the bezel set stone. It's some sort of Agate that my friend Katrina gave me to set for her at some point, and I finally got around to it yesterday. I learned a few lessons along the way:

1. bezel walls need to be much thinner
2. prong set unusually shaped stones, or modify the bezel so there are no buckles
3. patience.

I think it turned out alright, and I think Katrina will enjoy it. I have another, more angular, stone that is similar which she entrusted to me as well, and that will be prong set with wires that sit on the back kind of like this: )( and come around the front.

In addition to practicing my setting skills, my boss allowed me to watch him do some burnish settings today on a beautiful 22KY ring with a number of different small (1.3mm) sapphires (various colors). It was pretty interesting. He also gave me some flexshaft tools to help clean up my casting (which I will post soon I promise), but I realised when I got home that I don't have the right mandrel for them! I'll have to get it next week.

I'm finding that I've fallen in love with pearls, as well. I just love how luminous they are. As a compliment to my flower earrings, I created a flower necklace today, with small pearls coming out of the center of the pendant. I almost gave up, but determination reigned and won.

Images coming soon!

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top