All things shiny

I was able to spend all day Thursday making jewelry, or at least working on jewelry. I spent a lot of time making parts which I need to assemble. Amber was being sweet and cuddly there for a little while. Production work is hard for me to do, just because it's so monotonous, but I know it's the bread and butter of my work and most of us need that to make a living.


After hours of making parts and production stuff, I finally got brave enough to make my mom's pendant. I kind of wish I'd waited longer because now I want to put another strip of metal on the top, and attach the chain to that, but I've already set the stones and the emerald won't hold up under the heat. But I did talk to my mom and she likes it as a hanging pendant. Now all I have to do is shorten the stem, drill a hole, and add the chain.

The necklace is for my mom's birthday, which was in August. A little late, but I had to order metal and stones and get settings--and then get the courage to set gems for the first time!!! It was successful except for a small chip in the emerald.

The piece is made of sterling silver, with 14KW round settings. The stones are Peridot (left) for my mom's birthday, Emerald (middle) for my birthday, and White Sapphire (right top) for my brother's birthday. My brother and my stones aren't in birth order, because I liked the color change better this way. I like the piece all in all, and am looking forward to finishing it up and giving it to my mom the next time she comes to visit :)

I have a bunch of stones left over so I might go ahead and work on a ring for myself!!!

Also, my casting class has been very fun and exciting, but I'll post more on that later.



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top