No rest for the weary....


 It has been a busy few weeks recently.  What, with the scurrying to finish the Thorn Brooches, and the immense amount of work I have been doing otherwise.  Let me tell you, it is hard to support a household on one income!  Especially when it's an artist/nanny's income.  Well, realistically, that income comes from 4 families that I work for, plus house/pet-sitting, and the jewels of course.  Let's not forget the jewels!  They keep me sane.

I'm not complaining, honestI love my life. I get to spend my time with amazing people, kids, and animals, often times relaxing, playing games, or spending time outside.  And the best part is...I get to help kids, and families, have a better life because they are well cared for.

Sunday was my day off last week.  It was busier than many of my work days!  Along with cooking and a trip to the laundromat, we went on an adventure and found these, just down the road:


Wild roaming buffalo....


A proud horse, despite missing a leg...


And a young colt, about to bolt...

It was glorious.  

There were flowers, and ladybugs galore....



I also cooked a bit.  I'm going wheat-free, because my stomach has been protesting so much.  Full of quiche, chicken enchiladas, stir fry with quinoa, and turkey burgers, I'm doing pretty well so far.


I love my body.  I talk to her all the time, especially when she's upset.  Those conversations usually go, "come on, you can do this...you can get through this", as I gulp down water and nutrients to help her.  After the successful weaning of wheat will come the battle against coffee, which she has been protesting lately, too.  Instead of grieving the loss of things I cannot have, I'm looking forward to the adventures of what I can eat, and new things to cook with.
I guess it helps that I'm not altogether inexperienced at this.  I've experimented with being vegetarian, vegan, and raw-foodist (which I miss, oddly enough).  During those times, I did a lot of research on nutrients in fruits, vegetables, and grains.  I love having that knowledge within me.

If any of you have gluten-free recipes, don't hesitate to share!

I hope your weekend went well, and that this week is finding you happy and healthy. 
Love and Light
xo
Catherine

CONVERSATION

3 comments:

  1. beautiful! i love the critters ... my guess is they're tied up to the vintage horse rings in your neighborhood. love you and have a great rest of the week ... xoxo mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one of the busiest women I know.
    I feel you on the solo income thing....I can hardly wait for RW to head back to work and take the pressure off of me:)

    The city bison, as you might guess, is basically me in a plastic fur suit.

    As for the GF stuff....gosh, it's hard. If it makes you FEEL better, DO IT! But I have to be honest, if I could, I'd eat some gluten at every meal. :)

    Get this almond flour cook book. It's the best.
    http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Almond-Flour-Cookbook/dp/158761345X

    Not only does it include GF recipes but the recipes are also dairy free (for the most part), agave nectar is substituted for sugar and grape seed oil for butter/oils. AND.........everything is delish (except we weren't so keen for the chicken pot pie....).
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mama....they are tied up to those rings! Unfortunately, some of them have been hit by cars :( And quite a few are missing from the last time I photographed them. They're all over Portland, really :)

    J, thank you for the link! I did have some GF Raisin Bread yesterday and it was delish but gave me that same unhappy feeling in my stomach, so I guess I'll just have to play around and see how it goes. I want to be able to eat something bread-like!

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top