Catch & Release

Artists are notoriously attached to their work. I think it is really only with practice that we learn to detach. I realized the other day, as I was finishing up some orders from my clearance sale, that I had finally reached a place of truly saying goodbye to old designs.

In the past, I've always wanted to leave some of them behind, but I loved them so much that it was hard to.

I still love them. They are part of me! These designs, much like friends, have made me into the person/artist I am today.


For instance, my Flower Earrings are actually the very first earrings I ever designed. I worked diligently on them in my first year of Jewellery & Metalsmithing in Australia, taking on feedback, and improving them.


Similarly, my Seed Pod Earrings have always been a staple. These were made with the first matrix die I ever made during my production class at UniSA. I have always loved the design of the hook and the movement it lends to the earrings. Honestly, I wear my own pair of these most days of the week.

These, and other designs, have a huge place in my heart.

But as I was standing there in my studio, packing things up, I finally felt this sense of relief at letting them go. I am ready to move forward. It is a difficult step to take--I see artists and musicians go through this often. They get stuck in a certain format and can't truly move forward. I never want to be stagnant. I think it takes serious guts to move out of what you and others know of your work--to break boundaries. And I cannot truly express how infinitely rewarding it is to give yourself permission to do so.


New things are in the works. This is a shot with a mix of old and new work on my desk last week. I am striving for cleaner lines, focusing on shapes, form, and a few one-of-a-kind pieces along the way. New things are on the horizon and I couldn't be more excited!

I am looking at colors, fibers, metal, forms. I am seeing things in a new light. The last three years of being in school and finishing my (2nd) BFA have definitely changed my view of things--my love of fashion and couture was reignited during my thesis year, as was my passion for indigenous adornment from across the globe. I can't wait to show you what's next.

CONVERSATION

Back
to top