Nothing New: Something Old, Something New


So, I had an interesting thing happen the other day. Well, a couple, really. At some point last week, I was dawdling around in downtown Portland, and wandered in to Anthropologie to look at all the pretties. 
Well.
That was a mistake.
Those pretties really tug at my heart strings! But, I was good and resisted, despite the little voice inside of me going "oh, what cute jugs!" "oooh look at that tanktop!" "Oh, I love that book!!"
Admittedly, I left a little more sad than when I arrived.

But, time quickly sped by and I forgot. 


Fast-forward to a couple days later, and I found myself in a hurry to find shoes to go with a dress for a wedding the following day. You see, I have been working my tail off for multiple families, and socializing in the evenings, so I haven't had very much time to wander about ALL of the second hand shops in Portland, looking for the perfect white sandals. After going to at least 10 stores, I did discover that white sandals are nearly impossible to find. 

So, I decided to wear my yummy yellow Fly London kitten heels with the grey dress, but now I was faced with a different problem--I needed a necklace or earrings to match up with those yummy yellow shoes. I went back to multiple second hand stores, trying to find something. 

Nothing.
So. With time ticking away, I gave myself an out: if I could find something handmade, at a local business, I could get it. 

I found a great little pair of earrings at Redux, a great shop on E. Burnside Street that carries an amazing array of artists work. They had the perfect little shock of yellow that matched my shoes (a little brighter than the photo portrays).

On the 'Something Old' aspect of things, I was inspired by a good friend last week to swing by Powell's Books and pick up a Used copy of "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron. Admittedly, I haven't had a lot of time to read it, but I'm getting through it a little at a time.

I think out of all these experiences, watching my own reactions has been the most interesting part. It's amazing how the simple convenience of buying everything new can affect us when we change and have to re-think purchases or work harder to make a more conscious one.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top