Redirecting Creativity


Although I have not been making new work (I still have a good amount of stock available), I have been using my creative energy in other ways.  For one, wedding planning takes up quite a bit of time and energy.  Between shopping for dresses, and gathering addresses for all the guests, creating spreadsheets, and designing invitations, there's a lot to be done.  

Other than wedding planning and working, though, I've started volunteering.  This past weekend, my fiance, Dave, and I, volunteered at Potluck in the Park (through Hands On Greater Portland).  We served warm meals to around 450 people in need, most of them homeless.  It is one of the only places, not associated with a church, for people in need to get meals on the weekend, and they have not missed one Sunday in 19 years.  When I was 14, and hanging out downtown with a lot of homeless kids, I remember seeing the Potluck in the Park trucks at this location, and was so glad to see that they were still operating.  Even more, I was so happy to be able to help.

After we finished for the day (we were some of the last people to leave), Dave and I looked at each other and agreed that even though times may be tough, at least we have each other, a roof over our heads and food to eat. 

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top