The Downside of Metalsmithing


The downside of metalsmithing and making jewelry, is that sometimes it doesn't work the way you think it will. For instance, last week, I made two wonderful commissions, and sent them off to their new homes. One broke en route, and the other was the wrong size. Things must be re-done and reconsidered. It can be frustrating, but mostly in the sense of "what did I do wrong?"

Luckily, being a metalsmith and designer has helped me become a fantastic problem solver, who often thinks "outside the box". I often surprise myself with knowledge and ideas that I didn't know I had stored inside me. Not only that, but innovations to new problems.

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. Trial and error! and I learn the most from my errors. I'm sorry to hear about your doozies. I have had pieces that have put up with vigorous filing, polishing, tumbling and stone setting- just to break in the bag while in storage! It is frustrating, but it also makes you pay more attention to it the next time. Oh the anxiety! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top